Friday, December 3, 2010

Women are marginal in the world of the Corleones, seen only in relation to men. What impact if any do wives and mothers have on the central male chara

I believe that in the movie, there is only a very small role. I find that the women of the story are generally portrayed as revolving around the men, and doing work for the men. An example of this is during the wedding in the beginning of the movie, in which the godfather opens the door to his office, and you can see, out of focus, in the background, a group of women doing the dishes and cleaning. This shows the general mentality of men and women during the 1940’s, in which women were not treated as equals. I believe that the director did this, so as to portray the 1940’s better.

2 comments:

  1. "A example" should be "An example" You also have too many commas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think women revolve around men. I think that they are portrayed as puppets and that the door is symbolic as a divide between men and women. There are some good ideas here and I think the director wanted to show the 40's.

    ReplyDelete